Food Recipe: Lentejas – Easy Lentils
Lentils Colombian style is the easiest dish to cook. If you want to cook to impress some of your Colombian friends this is it! It'll draw a smile on their face or win someones heart. Enjoy your meal! Buen Provecho!
- 120g green lentils
- For this dish I bought a pack of lentils from Sainsbury's this type of lentils don't require the sometimes forgetful overnight soaking.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 3 medium potatoes chopped into cubes
- 4 sausages / 2 chorizos / or anything you'd like
- 1 teaspoon of salsina EL REY Colombian spices mix
- or a mix of a ¼ teaspoon each of salt, pepper and cumin powder
Directions:Place lentils in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil for 10 minutes and uncover.
In a saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over a medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, tomatoes and spices. Stirring occasionally until you get a thick pasty texture, which is known in Colombia as Hogao or Guiso. Add the sauce, sausages and potatoes to the lentils, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. Serve with whichever rice you like. You can also eat it in a bowl as a soup!